Ties with the town stretch back to the 1800s
The Humber Royal has long been associated with the town of Grimsby.
It started in the 1800s with The Royal Hotel, as it was called. This was sited on the edge of Grimsby Docks on Cleethorpe Road. One time landlords were the parents of actress Patricia Hodge.
It was first called the Royal Dock Hotel and was described as a “large, handsome and commodious” Italian-style building. The name was spelt out by the initial letters of the names of the animals carved above the ground floor windows. It was designed by M. E. Hadfield and Son of Sheffield and built by John Brown of Pasture Street, Grimsby at a cost of about £5000. It opened in 1865 and survived for 101 years.
That hotel was demolished to make way for the flyover in the 1960s and was replaced by today's hotel on Littlecoates Road and renamed The Humber Royal Hotel. Its location on the western fringes of the town making it accessible for the traveller from wherever they came.